Give sense of anticipation & surprise
Replayability is an aspect to consider in order to move away from a rigid and routine-based approach to learning people skills.
A sense of surprise leaves students wondering about what all the possibilities in the game are. They wish to come back and find out.
Dos and Don’ts
Build in moments of surprise
- Building opportunities for students “create their own” aspects (like Uno wild cards) gives them the power to customize gameplay
- Surprises evoke moments of emotion with higher highs and lower lows
- Surprises leave room for interpretation
Create elements that encourage students to play again
- Variety avoids things feeling repetitive
- The satisfaction of “leveling up” with a gradual and appropriate increase in difficulty keeps students coming back
- Appropriate time durations and frequency of play need can be leveraged